Member of the EVE Tweet Fleet

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

22nd Blog Banter: Loyal til Underverse Come

Welcome to the twenty-second installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to crazykinux@gmail.com. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!


This month topic is brought to us by L'Dene Bean of Nitpickin's who asks: Why, and how did you pick your corporation? Is your loyalty solid or just until a better placed organization "recruits" you. The shorter version:  Who holds your Unshakable Fealty and why?


This is something I believe is important in New Eden. A corporation, as a conglomeration of pilots with similar goals, can be a safe haven in the harsh universe that is Eve. I was in one other corp before I joined the University, a small and extremely new one. I may not have experience jumping around in different corps, but that is for good reason. Trust.
It is something that is hard to earn in Eve, and earn it you must. A corporation depends on trust in its pilots to want the better of the group, than to be plotting its demise and robbery. My place in the Uni and the four months I have dedicated to it have certainly given a solid community and it has earned my loyalty. Of course, as my recent post has shown as well as events I don’t talk about, there is drama even in the Uni. With so many pilots in one place, that is inevitable. But that hardly means I don’t love this corporation. The dedication, generosity, and just plain ole’ good camaraderie I have found is something I value. There are pilots I am proud to fly with any day.
I have flown in many fleets in my time at the University and I always find it interesting the kind of dimwitted smack talk that greets us in a variety of solar systems. I have been called a sheep, I have heard our FC’s called amateur and incompetent, how apparently the directors are using noobs as an ISK farm for their private titan fleet and POS towers. This is amusing, as stupid as all of it is, since it is entirely conceived out of some ill begotten grudge or misunderstanding. The Uni has generously fostered new players for 6 years. That’s nearly as long as the game has been around and I believe CCP owes the corp a bit for the number of subs that continue to roll in thanks to the continued education. That in and of itself can garner loyalty. When someone outgrows them, they are welcome to leave. And they are welcome back at any future time. It’s a haven in the harsh place that is New Eden.
This is not to say, however, that I will remain with the Uni forever. I have mentioned before that I have plans to move on, but I am still a loyal alum. Eve U is a great establishment and I find it sad that so many only see it as a noob farm or some pithy derivative. It allows those new to the game to have a source of knowledge and patient understanding, instead of lost trying to get a handle on the game while someone sits outside the noob station and ganks them, leading to ragequits.
The corporation has its place in my history, but it is not somewhere I can stay forever. The SOP limits me in my endeavors and I’d like to make new friends. I may return and I will always be happy to help the Uni when they need.
Going back to the first question of why I picked the Uni is pretty obvious. I was lost in the ocean of New Eden, not sure what to do or how to do it. I was actually directed to the it by my brother. He had started playing a month earlier than I and he is the reason I got into Eve. He told me about what the Uni is and the things they do for new players. It was an opportunity that was not to be wasted in my eyes. Besides, it’s nice to be on Ubercado’s side, not in his meat locker. There are great directors, great students, and great times in the Uni. It holds my loyalty, just as will the next home I choose. I do not choose a corporation without first knowing who they are and how they operate. One must be careful and choose wisely, else they jump from corp to corp and become dismayed. Trust and loyalty is hard earned in Eve, just as in life. If you earn it from me, there are few reasons you will ever lose it.
So for those of you that are new and would like a good corp to begin in, take a look at the University. Take a look at any corp you like, and make it a good look. There are a plethora out there and there are a lot of great ones to enjoy and that will fit your needs. For those of you more seasoned player, what got you where you are? Are you happy?
I’m not sure I have much more to say without being redundant. Who holds your fealty?
-Mem 

PS: I finally fixed the time on my posts so it stops registering two posts in the same day when I put them up. About time, I know. :P

Other blog banters to go read:


The Elitist
Evil Silents
A Merry Life and a Short One
Being Knee Anderthal

No comments: